Some random thoughts to give you a reprieve from talk of cats pooping on toilets...
- It was kind of cold and dreary out today. I took pictures while I was out anyway.
- We have to clean the apartment in order to fit a party in here on Sunday. I think we should have parties all the time because at least that would force us to clean.
- Dissertation revisions are tedious and boring, even as I know they are an improvement. I guess they are just not improvement enough to bring back whatever enthusiasm I might have once had for this project. I get enthusiastic when I think about the directions I can go with this in the future, but I also get discouraged thinking that they are things I should have done in my dissertation (rather than the things I did do), but really... this kind of thinking is totally counterproductive. I realize this, but I continue to battle it. I am not sure I will completely conquer it with this project, but I guess that's ok as long as this dissertation still ends up done in the end. (And the end is actually coming very near.)
- I got an email today from iStock that started out "Hello. This is a bulk email going out to all of our Exclusive contributors. We have something that we want to announce specifically to all of you first, before letting the rest of the communtiy in on it." The funny part is that I am not an Exclusive contributor so obviously this email had gone out to more people than they had intended. It was followed shortly afterwards by an email with the subject line "About that last message..." Unfortunately, for a misdirected email, it wasn't terribly juicy.
- Flickr is making everyone who signed up before August 2005 change their login to a Yahoo! ID. People are very unhappy about this. I'm not thrilled either, though I do have a Yahoo! ID I could use. But I'm contemplating what to do about Flickr anyway. I've never really liked it and I have concerns about copyrights on my photos there (from time to time people actually leave comments on my photos complaining about my copyright watermark and telling me that if I would just get a Creative Commons license it will essentially say the same thing, to which I always have to reply that it really, really doesn't say the same thing at all and that in fact there's a difference between saying "all rights reserved" and "feel free to distribute my photos without even contacting me first")... anyway, I have other issues with the site. But then, someone bought me a Pro account, which expires in a few months. I think I will let it expire because it seems silly for me to pay $25 to continue to use a service I don't really like, but ... with a free account I can only show the most recent 200 pictures and only two sets. You know what, that's stupid. I'm not buying a Pro account. 200 photos is a lot. And people who complain about reaching their bandwidth limits quickly are uploading fullsize images straight out of their cameras, which I don't do anyway. Okay, decision made!
- J's laptop harddrive just died, but since it was under warranty Dell immediately sent him a refurbished replacement drive. Unfortunately, it was only 40 GB, like the one in his laptop. But then I remembered that just before my old laptop had died (I won't get into that story again) that I had bought an 80 GB drive. So now J has a working 80 GB drive, making the hard drive crash a lot less painful.
- Today J and I checked out the weather in Saskatoon (he was looking at job listings and noticed an advertisement for a job there) and it was currently "blowing snow" and they were expecting a high of -9 C and overnight, a low of -22 C. Eek.
- Our local weather forecast is for rain/snow. I really wouldn't mind the cold as much if it would just snow for real!