I've been tagged (five times now) on Facebook to do the 25 Things About Me meme, and I actually started it. But after about five things I got bored. But of course I can always come up with 25 things to say about Squeakles...
1. He loves to say "cat" and he definitely knows what it means. Whenever Koji or Tako walk into the room, he cranes his neck to watch wherever they go and excitedly says "cat cat cat cat".
2. A couple of nights ago he repeated "Tako" for the first time (one of the cat's names) and he did it perfectly. Since then it tends to come out as "ako".
3. He also loves to say "duck" when he sees a toy or a picture of a duck (sometimes it's a repetition of what we've said first). And when I follow it up with "What does the duck say? ... Quack, quack", he says "Kak Kak!"
4. He eats and loves everything we give him. This week he has even tried salmon and lamb (not together).
5. He's got almost five teeth - two adorable center bottom ones, two center top ones (with a gap between them!), and a fifth top one that has just appeared. So far he doesn't seem too bothered by teething.
6. He has started spontaneously dancing whenever he hears music, even if it's just a few seconds of a commercial or music that comes from a toy. He bounces up and down and looks around to see if we've noticed and if we're joining in.
7. He imitates sounds - recently he's imitated J's crazy sounds, a baby crying on tv, and the coffee grinder.
8. He sleeps fine in his crib for naps.
9. At night he wakes up in the crib crying and will not settle, but put him in bed with us and he's out within seconds.
10. That's on good nights. Sometimes I can't even get him to go down to sleep in the crib. Those nights I lie down with him, we listen to music, he complains a little bit, and eventually likes to have my hand resting on his face over his eyes as he finally succumbs to sleep.
11. He really loves people.
12. People love him too, even people who claim not to be "baby people".
13. According to the experimenter who ran him in a study yesterday, he seems to know some body part names like "mouth" and "leg". At least, he knows them compared to an apple.
14. I think one reason he has so much trouble letting go and going to sleep is that, unless he's really tired, he cannot. stop. exploring.
15. He does not have a "lovey" toy or blanket. There's too much exploring to do to be attached to just one object.
16. He's not especially interested in reading. That would involve too much sitting still.
17. He has learned how to smack Koji on the butt. (This is what Koji likes, really!)
18. He likes to laugh and will force a fake laugh if he needs to.
19. He can walk if you hold his hands.
20. He knows what "no" means but he doesn't like it. However, if the temptation of whatever he was going for is not too great, he will sometimes move on to something else.
21. He hardly interacts with other kids because he has no siblings, is not in daycare, and it's too cold to play outside.
22. He's on a waiting list for a daycare. They told us the "average" wait is 9 to 12 months (which would be any time between May and August), but we know someone who's been on the waiting list for three years.
23. He likes the taste of beer (courtesy of J's boss, who is, in his defense, a doctor).
24. His favorite segment of Yo Gabba Gabba is when Mark draws.
25. He has recently started to wave good-bye when we (or someone else) leaves the room. The other day he did it when I just opened the front door to go down to the laundry room. (Actually, it's not really a wave. He holds out his arm and opens and closes his fist. Yesterday he did it with both hands.